By now you all probably know that I’m a big advocate of making recipes that taste indulgent but are actually healthy and guilt-free. You might remember my zucchini noodle recipes and my spaghetti squash pasta, both of which are two go-to healthy recipes on an average weeknight. Today, I’m excited to share yet another culinary creation that is healthier than it tastes. Enter: zucchini pizza bites…
Let’s be honest: Who doesn’t love a slice of pizza every once in a while? I personally crave it, but it’s not the best dish to have as a staple in your diet. However, if you take away the doughy crust and greasy toppings and replace them with a veggie base and fresh ingredients, you’ll have yourself a pizza-flavored bite that won’t get you off your healthy eating streak. And that’s exactly what these zucchini pizza bites are! You can make them with any toppings you want, but these three are my favorites. Without further ado, here’s how to make prosciutto-arugula, truffle-mushroom and tomato-basil zucchini pizza bites…
Healthy Zucchini Pizza Bites, 3 Ways
- 2 zucchinis, but into little rounds
- 1 package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 package grated parmesan cheese
- marinara sauce
- button mushrooms, diced
- 1 package fresh basil leaves
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- truffle salt and pepper (for taste)
1. Cut both of your zucchinis into round slices. Place them on a baking sheet.
2. Spread a small dollop of marinara sauce on each zucchini round. Then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
3. Now, time for the toppings: We made one with prosciutto and arugula; one with button mushrooms, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, and truffle salt; and one with a small slice of tomato and a basil leaf. Sprinkle each with a pinch of salt and pepper. (Note: Remember that each bite is small, so you may way to cut your toppings into small pieces to make them fit on each zucchini round.)
4. Set your oven to preheat to 350 degrees and bake for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden on the edges. Then, enjoy!
How simple is that? It’s hard to put into writing how delicious and satisfying these little bites are. They’re the perfect snacks to make when you’re having your girlfriends over for a glass of wine. When we made them, we were originally intending them to be an appetizer, but they were so good that we made a second batch and had them as our dinner!
What toppings will you put on your zucchini pizza bites?
Let me know in the comments below.